Elegant and historic inn overlooking the waves
There is very little to do except surf, relax and enjoy Mother Nature at this boutique hotel beside the ocean. Brave one of Kelly Slater’s favourite breaks at Soup Bowl, opt for more mellow waves at Sand Bank, or simply swim and snorkel in crystal clear waters.
- BEACH LIFE
- CHILL OUT
- ON THE DOORSTEP
Location: Tent Bay, East coast, Barbados
Transfer: 45 minutes’ drive from BGI international airport
Family Friendly: Best for babies and young children
Climate: Av temps of 25-30C year-round/ water temp 25-28C
Surf level: Beginner to experienced
Time Zone: GMT/UTC -4
- Oceanfront swimming pool with loungers and a cabana.
- Ocean-view restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating.
- Lounge room and sitting area.
- Surf lessons on demand.
- Airport transfers from USD$40–$55 each way.
- Car hire available.
- An elegant, historic property dating back to the 18th century.
- Vibrant beach-chic style with a throwback to the property’s Colonial roots.
- There are 8 spacious rooms in the main property, plus 2 self-contained apartments beside the pool.
- Coastal View suites are ideal for families with one child. These have a four-poster, king-size bed, a sofa bed, sitting area, and a large bathroom with walk-in shower. Cot also available.
- The 2-bedroom apartments suit families with up to two children. These include a queen-size bed, two single beds, fully-equipped kitchen, living and dining area.
- Beach towels and locally-made toiletries included.
- Mod cons include air-con, hairdryer, CD player, radio and iPod dock, TV and WiFi.
- Dubbed one of Kelly Slater’s favourite waves, the challenging Soup Bowl is only 5 minutes’ walk away – one for experts only.
- There are also options for beginners, including nearby Sandbank. The perfect spot for a family beach day, here kids and beginners can take on the mellow beach break, while the experts can take on the heavy right-hander of nearby Soup Bowl.
- The Surf & Stay package includes surf lessons with all equipment provided.
- The dramatic east coast is littered with spots for swimming, snorkelling and surfing.
- From the hotel there is direct access to a wild and rocky beach (not one for bathing).
- It’s a short walk to natural reef pools for swimming and snorkelling.
- It’s a 5-minute walk to Soup Bowl surf break.
- It’s 30-minutes drive to the divine Crane Beach on the southeast coast – listed by several publications as one of the best beaches in the world.
- Take a seat inside or alfresco for Bajan specialities (including fresh local produce, seafood and grilled meats) served for breakfast, lunch and dinner (except Sunday evenings most of the year).
- The hotel is somewhat famous for its West Indian buffet lunches – a smorgasbord of Bajan and Caribbean cuisine.
- Bajan and Continental breakfast served daily.
- Unfussy kids’ menu including fresh fish and pasta.
- JuJu’s Beach Bar, on the west coast, is a fun hangout for a beachside BBQ.
- It’s worth the 40-minute drive across the island to Oistins Fish Market, where every Friday after 6pm, a line-up of stalls serve up fresh fish and Bajan dishes alongside local rum and Caribbean tunes
- Snorkelling with turtles in natural reef pools.
- Windurfing and kitesurfing.
- SUP trips along the coastline, encountering wrecks, reefs and sea life.
- Hop on a catamaran cruise – private charters and group trips available.
- Freewheel along trails for beginner and expert riders on a bike tour of the island.
- Diving trips to wrecks and reefs. PADI training available.
- There is very little to do except enjoy the sunshine, sea views and Mother Nature – so grab a book and recline in an oceanfront lounger.
- Enjoy nature walks along the old railway track or go hiking through the clay trails.
- Get even closer to tropical beauty when you explore the nearby botanical gardens – such as Andromeda Gardens ,Farley Hill Park, Hunte’s Gardens and Welchman Hall Gully.
- Visit historic sites including St. Nicholas Abbey, Nidhe Israel Synagogue (the oldest synagogue in the Western Hemisphere) and George Washington House.