A luxury family beach hotel overlooking Mawgan Porth beach
Beach lovers and surfers roll up for some luxury and pampering beside the waves at Mawgan Porth Beach. Hit the waves with expert instructors, dine on nature’s bounty overlooking the ocean and indulge in a sensory spa experience while the kids enjoy the adventure playground, soft play, clubs and activities.
- BE THERE
- WHAT'S ONSITE
- SURF & BEACHES
- EAT & DRINK
- THINGS TO DO
- KIDS SAY
- WE SAY
Luxury family beach hotel in Cornwall
Location: Mawgan Porth , Cornwall
Transfer: 5mins drive from Newquay Cornwall Airport
Climate: Summer 16-20C
Best time to go: Feb–Nov
Surf level: All levels
Family friendly: All ages from babies to grandparents
Other activities: Bodyboarding, hiking, spa treatments and day trips
Time Zone: GMT
Relax to the echo of the waves in a spacious, contemporary sanctuary beside Mawgan Porth beach.
For families we love the Apartment Suites, sleeping 4-6 guests, with plush king size bed for the grown-ups and a separate bunk room for the children. Relax in the living area, soak up the sea views and bask on the private terrace or balcony,
Also great for families are the interconnecting double and twin rooms. What these lack in sea views, they make up for with contemporary decor and lots of space, in two separate bedrooms and bathrooms.
All accommodation is perfectly equipped for babies, kids, grown-ups and dogs.
Enjoy extensive family facilities in one of Cornwall's best boutique beach hotels beside the waves.
In addition to fantastic food and drink options, facilities include:
- A sensory spa garden with 7-stages of detox and invigoration.
- A hydro-spa where you can bubble away in the spa pool and steam in the sauna and steam room.
- A luxury spa treatment centre where you can relax under the spell of organic skincare products.
- Indoor or outdoor swimming pools.
- Relaxation areas.
- Soft play, adventure playground and a football pitch.
- Ofsted registered children's club for under 8s, and the 'Z' Club for 8-16 year-olds.
- Private babysitting service, so you can enjoy dinner for two overlooking the sea.
- The Create Design Store and Gallery, for designer gifts and art, including ceramics and textiles with a heavy Cornish-meets-Scandinavian influence.
Bedruthan overlooks the stunning surfing beach of Mawgan Porth. It's a five-minute walk down the slope to hit the waves.
Mawgan Porth is perfect for all levels of surfers, with plenty of whitewater for beginners and A-frame peaks for more advanced surfers.
Learnt to surf in Cornwall with family surfing lessons in the hands of local experts. Choose from group sessions, family sessions and one-to-one coaching (minimum age 7).
Surfboard and wetsuit rental available.
Other nearby surf breaks include Harlyn, Watergate Bay and Newquay’s beaches.
Water temps range from 9-10C in winter to 15-18 in summer – so you’ll need at least a 3/2mm wetsuit in summer and 5/4mm in winter.
Bedruthan is home to some fantastic foodie options for the whole family – from relaxed bar snacks to fine dining.
The Wild Café is a contemporary sea-view restaurant serving delicious, family-friendly dishes inspired by the seasons.
The Herring provides a more sophisticated fine dining experience, where fresh seafood and seasonal cuisine is served alongside sublime sea views.
The Bar and Terrace is open all day, serving classic drinks and snacks from coffee to cocktails.
- Take a two-mile walk over the cliff tops to Watergate Bay, stopping for a hot chocolate or a family feast at The Beach Hut before the return journey.
- Stroll the opposite direction along the coast path to witness the granite giants rising from the sand at Bedruthan Steps beach.
- Head into Newquay and ride the Concrete Waves of the skate park.
- Experience the vibrant beach culture of the UK’s surfing capital.
- Checkout the underwater life without getting your hair wet when you visit the Blue Reef Aquarium.
- Head to Newquay Zoo to see over 100 species of wildlife from lions to poison dart frogs.
"I love the rock pools and water fall at Mawgan Porth, then coming back to play on the trampoline at the hotel. I went in the soft play with my little brother and we spent lots of time in the warm indoor pool where you can see the sea."
Flo Bennet, aged 5.
"The Sensory Spa is a unique and invigorating experience after a day spent on the beach splashing around in the waves with the kids. As a family we just love that there is so much for all of us to do – inside and out. The kids love the adventure playground and football pitch, while I can relax in the hydro pool and dine in sophisticated surroundings. Mawgan Porth is also our favourite beach in Cornwall, and a perfect spot for rock pooling, picnics and surfing."
Hayley Lawrence, Surfing mum and travel expert.