Boutique family villas beside the waves, Santa Teresa, Costa Rica
If you’re looking for natural style and understated luxury, kick off your shoes in a private villa beside the sea. Santa Teresa is one of Costa Rica’s finest surfing locations, and Florblanca offers a serene jungle-by-the-beach location, where you can relax with good food, cocktails, yoga, spa treatments and surf at your fingertips.
- BE THERE
- SURF & BEACHES
- EAT & DRINK
- THINGS TO DO
- WE SAY
- KIDS SAY
- Enjoy comfort and privacy in one of the eleven private villas or a stylish surf house nestled into the jungle.
- Beautifully styled in natural, understated luxury, each villa has a spacious, open-air living area with hand-made Costa Rican hammock on the edge of lush, tropical vegetation.
- Alfresco bathrooms boast bathtubs and sinks carved from natural stone, handmade local toiletries and jungle greenery.
- Best for families, the two-bedroom villas can sleep up to five, in a luxurious king-size double bedroom and a twin with an extra daybed. The bedrooms are air-conditioned, while the rest of the villa is open to the elements.
- We love the Surf House, which stands alone, beneath jungle canopies right beside the waves. A little more rustic in style, it bags views and style for the surfing family, sleeping up to six in three air-conditioned rooms, with a bathroom and outdoor seating area with hammocks and beach chairs ready for those cracking beach sunsets.
- Swimming pool and sun loungers surrounded by jungle foliage.
- Relax in the tranquil embrace of Spa Bambu, with its waterfall pool, giant Jacuzzi and private casitas for massages and treatments.
- Yoga is central to the daily routine at Florblanca, where you’ll find an open-air yoga studio beside the waves, and a timetable of yoga classes to stretch the body and mind. You can also find your flow in Pilates classes. All equipment is provided. Group classes ($15 + 13% tax) and private classes available ($75 + 13% tax).
- If you want to work on your fitness, book a few sessions with a personal trainer. Private and semi private sessions are available.
- Surfing at Florblanca: With the northern reaches of Playa Santa Teresa, as well as Playa Hermosa on the doorstep, you can choose from rolling waves for beginners to hollow barrels for advanced surfers.
- Whether it’s your first time on a surfboard or you want to nail some new manoeuvres, Florblanca will organise expert tuition with local instructors. All equipment is provided.
- Other local beaches include Playa Carmen, Playa Santa Teresa, Mar Azul, Punta Barrigona.
- Experts can test out the barrels at Suck Rock, or you might prefer the more manageable waves at La Lora..
- For accessories, equipment and surf gear, seek out Cactus surf shop, at the Playa Carmen end of town.
- The onsite Nectar Restaurant is a relaxed and stylish hangout serving a menu of local ingredients, focussing on hook to fork and farm to table produce.
- From breakfasts of banana bread and huevos rancheros, to tacos, catch of the day and cocktails, the menu focuses on local, organic and seasonal produce.
- Early risers can get fresh Costa Rican coffee from 6am – perfect if you want to rise for a dawn surf.
- Nearby beach bars we loved for sundowners include:
El Carmen – a swanky beach bar with music, cocktails and views.
Banana Beach – for sundowners and tropical vibes.
Ranchos Ituana – for Latin-infused cuisine on the beach.
Also, at the Playa Carmen end of town, make sure you seek out The Bakery, for phenomenal baked goods, coffee, brunch and dinners with lots of vegan and veggie options.
- Head to the nearby rock pools at high tide, where you’ll find dreamy lagoons for wild swimming and snorkelling.
- Saddle up for a horse riding adventure along the beach or into the jungle.
- Zoom along the zip line on a canopy tour.
- Hop aboard for a sea fishing trip.
- Take a day trip to the paradise of Tortuga Island.
- Seek out Playa Los Suecos (Secret Beach) for snorkelling and swimming.
- Plunge under the waves for a diving excursion.
- Sign up for a volun-tourism project, including turtle watching and reforestation.
"Florblanca is a natural paradise. The Surf House and villas are the ultimate place to bag for a family surfing holiday in Santa Teresa. The staff are warm and friendly, and can organise everything from surfing lessons to your favourite cocktail to be waiting at sundown. Bliss."
Hayley Lawrence, surfer mum of three boys
"I loved the rock pools where we snorkelled and swam. But the sand was really hot to get to the sea, so don't forget flip flops. Back at the villa there were monkeys in the trees above the swimming pool. And really pink sunsets."
Sunny, aged 5