Modern luxuries fused with the Sri Lankan lifestyle
Bag a sea-view room at this stylish hotel with a private beach, surf break and snorkelling lagoon right out the front. Eat your heart out at the breakfast buffet, sip cocktails by the pool and dine on a seafood barbecue as the sun goes down.
- BEACH LIFE
- CHILL OUT
- ON THE DOORSTEP
- Private beach with surf and snorkelling.
- The perfect location to ping-pong between white sands, the hotel pool and the air con comfort of your hotel.
- Modern hotel facilities fused with Sri Lankan culture.
- An idyllic beach location, yet close to a traditional Sri Lankan village.
Transfer: 165km (2.5 hours drive) from Colombo airport
Climate: Nov–Apr (offshore winds/ dry season); av. air temp 30C; av. water temp 27C. (From April-Oct it’s monsoon season, with onshore winds and more unpredictable waves in the Southern Province.)
Surf level: Beginner to intermediate
- 53 comfortable, modern rooms overlooking the lush garden and beach.
- Triple rooms and interconnecting family rooms are available.
- Many rooms offer sea views with private balconies.
- Modern amenities include tea-making facilities and air conditioning.
- Swimming pool.
- Beach volleyball.
- Lush gardens with palm trees, sun loungers and plenty of space for children to play.
- Games including darts, chess, draughts, backgammon, carom and cards.
- Yoga classes with the in-house yoga master.
- TV lounge.
- Free wifi.
- Complimentary beach towels and pool changing area.
- Pool bar and juice bar.
- Restaurant serving a fusion of Sri Lankan and international cuisine.
- Ahangama is the perfect destination for beginners and intermediates to take their surfing to the next level.
- When there’s enough swell there is a decent wave breaking off the reef right in front of the hotel.
- If this isn’t working, there is another easy reef break with A-frame peaks just 100m walk along the road (known as Rajith Surf Point or Sticks). If you go for a dawn surf here and you’re feeling paddle fit, you can paddle all the way back to the hotel in time for breakfast.
- At Insight you can book surfing lessons and surf guiding with an experienced local surf school.
- A few footsteps further along the shore you reach Kabalana Beach, where children and beginners can master surfing, riding the white-water from dawn to dusk. It can be a bit of a beach dump and you have to watch out for rip currents.
- With a dreamy stretch of white sand on the doorstep, you don’t even have to leave the hotel to enjoy blissful Sri Lanka beach life.
- When the tide comes in over the reef, don a snorkel and you’ll spot plenty of fish and sea cucumbers.
- Rehydrate with a fresh coconut and find shade under the palm trees. Or in the heat of the day, simply head back to the air-con comfort of the hotel.
- One of our favourite family beaches is the sandy stretch of Kabalana, a 2-minute tuk-tuk ride away, where the kids can play in the breakers and there are plenty of cafés, too.
- It’s only 15 minutes by tuk-tuk to Wijaya beach, an idyllic spot to snorkel with turtles in a safe lagoon, get high on the rope swing and dine in the line-up of smart beach cafés.
- The restaurant in the hotel has a great restaurant serving up everything from Sri Lankan classics to international cuisine.
- Eat your heart out at the breakfast buffet to fuel up for a day on the beach.
- Pool bar serving juices, snacks and cocktails.
- Seafood barbecues under the stars.
- Nearby in Ahangama town you can enjoy the real Sri Lankan experience of roti huts and food stands.
- Daily-sourced ingredients from the local markets and fishermen.
- Yoga classes are run at the hotel with an in-house yoga master (US$10 per class)
- Beach volleyball, water polo and beach football.
- Darts, chess, draughts, backgammon, carom and cards.
- Family activity programme including Zumba classes.
- Take a break in the Spa Serene for a massage or relaxing treatment.
- Kickback by the pool and order a cocktail.
- A 2-minute tuk-tuk ride will take you into the heart of the vibrant village of Ahangama, with its stretch of food stands and ocean-side restaurants, backed by beautiful, palm-fringed shoreline.
- It’s just 15-minutes’ to popular beach resort of Mirissa, where you can visit the early morning fish market and head off on a whale-watching trip (go with The Whale Watching Club – run by experts who keep a safe distance from the incredible marine life).
- It’s a 30-minute tuk-tuk ride to the Dutch heritage city of Galle.
- For a guaranteed, up-close experience with elephants and a low-key family safari head to the Uda Walewe National Park.
- Castaway on Koggala Lake for a boat safari to seven little islands that will introduce you to a little slice of Sri Lankan culture.