Luxury family home close to two surfing beaches
Make yourself at home in a luxury family pad just a short stroll from the South West Coast Path and two minutes’ drive from two of our favourite surfing beaches – Watergate Bay and Mawgan Porth. Kandahar is the perfect location for a self-contained family surfing holiday, where you can hunker by the log burner, bask on the balcony or workout in the gym between surfing sessions and family beach life.
From £2,950 per week.
- BEACH LIFE
- ON THE DOORSTEP
Kick back and enjoy family beach life, private surfing lessons and gourmet foodie experiences, from your private family home just two minutes’ from the beach.
Location: Mawgan Porth, Cornwall
Transfer: 2 minutes’ drive from Newquay Cornwall Airport
Climate: Summer 16-20C; spring and autumn 12-18C (best swells)
Surf level: Beginners to experts
- Kandahar sleeps up to 8 guests in 4 bedrooms including a Queen-size, double and two twin bedrooms.
- This contemporary coastal home offers luxury open-plan living for families, with spacious light-filled rooms.
- The open-plan kitchen, dining and living area opens out onto a sheltered veranda with countryside views.
- Indoor gym and workout space.
- Play area with climbing frame and swings.
- Air con, Wi-fi and masses of mod cons.
- Reliable, fully qualified babysitter available – advance booking required.
- We’ll book your family surfing lessons at nearby Watergate Bay or Mawgan Porth.
- Choose from group sessions, family sessions and one-to-one coaching (minimum age 7).
- Two minutes’ drive from your stylish accommodation, Mawgan Porth and Watergate Bay beaches offer consistent surf for learners and more experienced surfers.
- Surfboard and wetsuit rental available.
- Other nearby surf breaks include Harlyn, Watergate Bay and Newquay’s beaches.
- Water temps range from 9-10C in winter to 15-18 in summer – so you’ll need at least a 3/2mm wetsuit in summer and 5/4mm in winter.
- Mawgan Porth’s sandy runway is a mecca for surfers, dog walkers and bona fide beach lovers.
- When you’re not surfing, take a rock-pool ramble, explore the sea caves and rinse off under the waterfall.
- A beachside huddle of cafés, bars and foodie outlets make it easy to stay fuelled up for a full day out at the beach.
- Also nearby is Watergate Bay – two miles of family friendly sands with excellent beach cafés and water sports.
- Just over the headland to the north is the awe-inspiring Bedruthan Steps beach, one of Cornwall’s most photographed beaches.
- Mawgan Porth is just a 10-minute drive from Newquay’s buzzing beaches, including Lusty Glaze, Tolcarne, Great Western, Towan and the surfing mecca of Fistral.
With self-catering properties being the perfect space to enjoy Cornwall’s smorgasbord of delicious food without going out, we bring the restaurant to your property by arranging gourmet spreads and excellent service. Not only can we provide grocery shopping (picking on the best local produce where we can), we will also manage the delivery of home-cooked meals and perfect picnics to be enjoyed in picturesque locations.
If you do fancy going out, some of our favourite cafes and restaurants nearby include:
- Nearby at the beach you’ll find a huddle of food and drink venues, including The Merrymoor Inn, Catch seafood restaurant and The Beach Box café . A range of street-food vans also serve up the likes of noodles, wood-fired pizzas and Mexican wraps.
- A short stroll inland through the valley will take you to Scott and Babs at Retorrick Mill, where you can dine on finger-licking wood-fired and barrel-smoked food, relax around the fire and catch live music sessions.
- Nestled in the idyllic village of St Mawgan, you’ll find The Falcon Inn with a lush beer garden where you can enjoy local ales and home-cooked pub grub. There’s plenty of space for the kids to run around and play while you relax.
- The Beach Hut, Watergate Bay: Hangout surfside and feast on cracking sea views in one of the coolest beach cafés in Cornwall. Sandy feet are welcome in this trendy on-the-beach diner where you can grab a legendary burger, warm up with an Extreme Hot Chocolate or tuck into bistro favourites and succulent local seafood. Pre-book at busy times.
- Make the most of the ocean breeze and try kitesurfing with Atlantic Riders.
- Follow the footpath through the valley to the quaint village of St Mawgan.
- Hit the South West Coast Path and explore the stunning beach scenery.
- Take a two-mile walk over the cliff tops to Watergate Bay, stopping for a hot chocolate or a family feast at The Beach Hut before the return journey.
- Stroll the opposite direction along the coast path to witness the granite giants rising from the sand at Bedruthan Steps beach.
- Head into Newquay and ride the Concrete Waves of the skate park.
- Experience the vibrant beach culture of the UK’s surfing capital.
- Checkout the underwater life without getting your hair wet when you visit the Blue Reef Aquarium.
- Head to Newquay Zoo to see over 100 species of wildlife from lions to poison dart frogs.