Tropical retreat beside the beach
Make yourself at home in a peaceful oasis overlooking Coconuts reef break. Surf from dusk ‘til dawn, stretch out with yoga on the deck, chill out in the hammocks, take a dip in the pool and tuck into Sri Lankan cuisine.
- BEACH LIFE
- CHILL OUT
- ON THE DOORSTEP
- Boutique lodgings by one the most consistent reef breaks in the Southern Province.
- An easy stroll to a range of breaks from easy-going plantations to the challenging Rams.
- Ayurvedic massages by qualified masseuses.
- A peaceful retreat just 2km from popular Weligama and equidistant from Galle and Matara.
Location: Coconuts, Gurubebila, nr Weligama
Transfer: 175km (2.5-3 hours drive) from Colombo international airport
Climate: Nov–Apr (offshore winds/ dry season); av. air temp 30C; av. water temp 27C. (April-Oct is monsoon season, with onshore winds and more unpredictable waves in the Southern Province.)
Surf level: Beginners to expert
- Eight simple, stylish bedrooms (sleeping 2-6 guests), in a palm-shrouded retreat beside the beach.
- Rooms on the upper level share a balcony and sitting area overlooking the waves.
- Lower level rooms open out onto the pool and grounds.
- Room are decked out with teak four-poster, king or queen-sized teak beds (some can be made into twin beds) with 8-inch sprung mattresses and mosquito nets.
- Two family rooms, sleeps up to 5/6 guests. One on the upper level has two king-size four posters and a mezzanine level with two mattresses. One on the lower level has two king-size four posters and a single bed.
- All rooms have air conditioning and powerful overhead fans.
- Swimming pool.
- Surfboard racks.
- In-house yoga.
- Two chill out areas with hammocks and beanbags – one by the pool and one on the upper level boasting ocean views.
- Food served all day.
- Free wifi.
- Tuk-tuks to take you to the surf breaks.
- Directly opposite the fun reef break of Coconuts, and a few sandy footprints from the mellower Plantations.
- Lion’s Rest has its own qualified surf coach, Lucky, a local surfer who can run group lessons or 1-1 sessions.
- Your qualified surf coach can also take you to some secret spots and offer surf guiding for more experienced surfers.
- Longboards, shortboards and beginner boards are available for hire.
- Experts can take on the more challenging and hollow waves at nearby Rams.
- While the reef breaks aren’t great for younger children and inexperienced surfers, it’s only 2km in a tuk-tuk to the mellow, sandy-bottomed waves of Weligama. Nearby Kabalana is also a great spot for beginners.
- Many other surf spots between Matara and Galle are just a short tuk-tuk ride away, including the popular longboard spots of Lazy Left and Lazy Right.
- Lion’s Rest has two tuk-tuks to take you around and share some quieter, secret spots too.
- Buy a fresh coconut, find a spot under a palm tree on the sand and watch the surfers at Coconuts and Plantations.
- Lion’s Rest is in the perfect location to yo-yo between the village green, the beach and the air-con comfort of your boutique hotel.
- A short stroll in the direction of Weligama will take you to a secluded cove perfect for swimming and sunbathing (be careful of the shorebreak if you have young children).
- One of our favourite beaches to hang out as a family is the sandy stretch of Kabalana, a ten-minute tuk-tuk ride away, where the kids can play in the breakers and there are plenty of cafés, too.
- It’s a 20-minute tuk-tuk ride to Wijaya beach, where you can snorkel with turtles, get high on the rope swing and enjoy a line-up of beachside cafés and restaurants.
- Start the day with a pre- or post-surf Sri Lankan breakfast.
- Authentic Sri Lankan cuisine and a range of Western dishes served all day.
- Weekly seafood barbecue buffet evenings.
- Vegan and vegetarian options available.
- Mouth-watering curries on the menu, as well as dedicated curry nights.
- Daily-sourced ingredients from the local markets and fishermen.
- Twice daily yoga – Slow Flow, Vinyasa and Hatha yoga ($9 per class)
- One-to-one yoga and kids’ yoga also available.
- Movie nights on the al fresco projector screen.
- Kickback by the pool or in a hammock with a cocktail.
- Indulge yourself with an Ayurvedic massage.
- Wind down with a sunset yoga session on the deck.
- Lion’s Rest is just 5km from the popular beach resort of Mirissa where you can visit the early morning fish market and head off on a whale-watching trip (go with The Whale Watching Club – run by experts who keep a safe distance from incredible species you will encounter).
- It’s a 40-minute tuk-tuk ride to the heritage, walled city of Galle.
- For a guaranteed, up-close experience with elephants and a low-key family safari head to the Uda Walewe National Park.
- Castaway on Koggala Lake for a boat safari to seven little islands that will introduce you to a little slice of Sri Lankan culture.