Luxury, eco-friendly cottages close to the beach
Kick back with everything you need in a swanky, eco-friendly family cottage nestled in rolling countryside a short walk from the beach. A luxurious retreat of six cottages in the Vale of Lanherne, here you are surrounded by wildlife and farm animals, yet within easy reach of the surfing mecca and sandy runway of Mawgan Porth beach.
From £1050 per week for an eco cottage sleeping 4
- BE THERE
- BEACH LIFE
- EAT & DRINK
- THINGS TO DO
Enjoy the perfect fusion of beach and countryside life in Cornwall, from a stylish, self-catering cottage, a short walk from the surfy hub of Mawgan Porth beach. You’re also close to Watergate Bay and on the outskirts of Newquay, the surfing capital of the UK.
Kickback and let us organise your surfing lessons, gourmet foodie experiences and other families activities.
Location: Mawgan Porth, Watergate Bay, Cornwall
Transfer: 5 minutes’ drive from Newquay Cornwall Airport
Climate: Summer 16-20C; spring and autumn 12-18C (best swells)
Surf level: Beginners to experts
Family friendly: All ages from babies to grandparents
Other activities: Bodyboarding, hiking, spa treatments, SUP
Time Zone: GMT
Choose from six luxury cottages in a huddle of converted barns nestled in the countryside.
Each is a private and luxurious space, with an enclosed patio and countryside views.
Sleeping 2-6 guests, each cottage is named after a North Cornish beach.
Three adjoining eco-cottages are the perfect location for a multi-family or multi-generational retreat.
The cottages are a short walk through the valley to Mawgan Porth beach.
The four- and five-star cottages are beautifully decked out with everything you need for a luxury family retreat.
Traditional character is seamlessly fused with sustainable design and modern facilities.
Perfect for younger children, a range of baby equipment can be provided, from cots and baths, to changing mats, potties, bed guards and sterilisers.
Kids will love petting the donkey and horse, and feeding grain to the chickens.
Babysitters available on request (not included).
We can organise meal deliveries and in-house spa treatments.
- We’ll book your family surfing lessons with KingSurf at Mawgan Porth.
- Breaking on all tides, Mawgan Porth offers great waves for beginners and experts alike.
- It’s a 10-minute stroll through woodland to reach the surf school and the beach (or a two-minute drive if you prefer).
- Choose from group sessions, family sessions and one-to-one coaching.
- Surfboard and wetsuit rental available.
- Two minutes’ drive from Mawgan Porth, neighbouring Watergate Bay offers consistent surf for learners and more experienced surfers.
- You’re also just five miles from the beaches of Newquay – the UK’s surfing capital, where you can hit the waves at the famous Fistral Beach.
- Water temps range from 9-10C in winter to 15-18 in summer – so you’ll need at least a 3/2mm wetsuit in summer and 5/4mm in winter.
- Mawgan Porth’s sandy runway is a mecca for surfers, dog walkers and bona fide beach lovers.
- When you’re not surfing, take a rock-pool ramble, explore the sea caves and rinse off under the waterfall.
- A beachside huddle of cafés, bars and foodie outlets make it easy to stay fuelled up for a full day out at the beach.
- Also nearby is Watergate Bay – two miles of family friendly sands with excellent beach cafés and water sports.
- Just over the headland to the north is the awe-inspiring Bedruthan Steps beach, one of Cornwall’s most photographed beaches.
- Mawgan Porth is just a 10-minute drive from Newquay’s buzzing beaches, including Lusty Glaze, Tolcarne, Great Western, Towan and the surfing mecca of Fistral.
Enjoy Cornwall’s smorgasbord of delicious food on the doorstep, or let us bring the restaurant to your luxury cottage, with gourmet deliveries. Not only can we provide grocery shopping (picking on the best local produce where we can), we will also manage the delivery of home-cooked meals and perfect picnics to be enjoyed in picturesque locations. We can even organise coastal cookouts, with a fire on the beach, Cornish lobster and toasted marshmallows.
If you do fancy going out, some of our favourite cafes and restaurants nearby include:
- Nearby at the beach you’ll find a huddle of food and drink venues, including The Merrymoor Inn, Catch seafood restaurant and The Beach Box café . A range of seasonal street-food vans also serve up the likes of noodles, wood-fired pizzas and Mexican wraps.
- A short stroll inland through the valley will take you to Scott and Babs at Retorrick Mill, where you can dine on finger-licking wood-fired and barrel-smoked food, relax around the fire and catch live music sessions.
- Nestled in the idyllic village of St Mawgan, you’ll find The Falcon Inn with a lush beer garden where you can enjoy local ales and home-cooked pub grub. There’s plenty of space for the kids to run around and play while you relax.
- On the cliff tops at Bedruthan Steps, stop for a divine Cornish cream tea at Carnewas Tearooms.
- The Beach Hut, Watergate Bay: Hangout surfside and feast on cracking sea views in one of the coolest beach cafés in Cornwall. Sandy feet are welcome in this trendy on-the-beach diner where you can grab a legendary burger, warm up with an Extreme Hot Chocolate or tuck into bistro favourites and succulent local seafood. Pre-book at busy times.
- Make the most of the ocean breeze and try kitesurfing with Atlantic Riders.
- Follow the footpath through the valley to the quaint village of St Mawgan.
- Hit the South West Coast Path and explore the stunning beach scenery.
- Other activities we can organise include SUP tours, wild swimming and beach fitness sessions.
We’re never more that a couple of footsteps from the beach, but whether you’re looking for beach life, scenery of something a bit different, here are a few family friendly things to do nearby:
- Take a two-mile walk over the cliff tops to Watergate Bay, stopping for a hot chocolate or a family feast at The Beach Hut before the return journey.
- Stroll the opposite direction along the coast path to witness the granite giants rising from the sand at Bedruthan Steps beach.
- If you’ve got surf and skate crazy kids, head into Newquay and ride the Concrete Waves of the skate park.
- Experience the vibrant beach culture of the UK’s surfing capital.
- Checkout the underwater life without getting your hair wet when you visit the Blue Reef Aquarium.
- Head to Newquay Zoo to see over 100 species of wildlife from lions to poison dart frogs.