A luxury family hotel and villas beside the waves
Bag a family suite in this contemporary family retreat by the beach. Pad down to a private cove or hop to neighbouring Poldhu Cove, which is perfect for beginner surfers as it’s shetered from the westerly winds and bigger Atlantic swells. Dan Joel’s family-friendly surf school will ensure you have fun in the waves, while back at the Polurrian you have an array of facilities including swimming pools and a spa.
- BE THERE
- WHAT'S ONSITE
- SURF & BEACHES
- EAT & DRINK
- THINGS TO DO
- KIDS SAY
- WE SAY
Luxury family hotel and villas in Cornwall
Location: Lizard Peninsula, Cornwall
Transfer: 1hr 25mins drive from Newquay Cornwall Airport
Climate: Summer 16-20C
Best time to go: Feb–Nov
Surf level: Beginners
Family friendly: All ages from babies to grandparents
Other activities: Bodyboarding, hiking, spa treatments and day trips
Time Zone: GMT
Choose from family villas and suites nudging a white sand cove, on the cliff tops of the stunning Lizard Peninsula.
The hotel rooms fuse traditional architecture with contemporary coastal style, while the villas have been designed to go hand in hand with family beach life.
The accommodation is perfectly equipped for babies, kids, grown-ups and dogs.
Choose from doubles, twins and interconnecting family suites. King-size zip-link beds and room for extra beds and cots make the set-up versatile to suit your family.
Two self-catering family villas sleeping up to 6 people, with Atlantic views, a private garden and balcony, and full access to hotel facilities.
Enjoy a stylish family-friendly retreat close to one of Cornwall’s top family surf schools. Relax in the Vista lounge and terrace with eye-popping coastal views.
- Complimentary baby listening system or book a private babysitter (charged separately) and enjoy a seafood dinner overlooking the waves.
- Enjoy massages, facials and spa treatments.
- Kickback by the poolside with a sundowner.
- Make a splash in the indoor or outdoor swimming pools.
- Play area, giant chess and outdoor games.
- Tennis court and gym.
- Cinema room showing family-friendly films.
- Lounge with pool table and Flatscreen TV.
- Snug with games including Scrabble, Monopoly and Connect 4.
The Polurrian is just footsteps from a sheltered beach that’s perfect for swimming and surfing. There are lifeguards in peak season.
It’s a 10-minute walk to Dan Joel’s family-friendly surf school at Poldhu Cove.
Enjoy surf lessons for all ages and abilities on a beach that’s perfect for beginners, as it’s more sheltered than the North Coast beaches.
Wetsuits, boards and equipment rental available.
All equipment is provided with lessons, however, if you want to bring your own you’ll need a 3/2mm in summer and 4/3mm in spring and autumn.
The Lizard is home to many other beautiful beaches, including the much-photographed Kynance Cove with its serpentine rock stack and crystal clear waters.
- The sea-view dining area focuses on fresh, seasonal ingredients and simple dishes including wood-fired pizzas.
- All-day menus are available outside of restaurant hours.
- Pre-ordered picnics are also available to take on your beach adventures.
- Direct access to the South West Coast Path and stunning walks on the Lizard Peninsula.
- Water sports including wild swimming and bodyboarding.
- Kayaking and coasteering adventures with Lizard Adventure.
- Visit the Lizard Lighthouse Heritage Centre and climb the lighthouse tower.
- Head to Roskilly’s family farm to meet farm animals and the cows that are milked to make the lip-smacking ice cream served here.
- A short walk to the Marconi monument and Marconi Centre, from where the first transatlantic message was sent in 1901 (when Marconi was a guest at The Polurrian Hotel).
“I love the outdoor games and swimming pool, and you can just borrow bodyboards to splash around in the little cove close to the hotel. The hot chocolates at Poldhu Cove beach café are amazing for warming up after surfing.”
Leo Spurway, aged 7
“I love relaxing in the Vista lounge at the end of the day at the beach. A Cornish-made gin and tonic in hand, overlooking the ocean. The kids can enjoy an early dinner after a day in the sea, then we can use the baby monitor system to enjoy some couple time and leisurely dinner later in the evening. Poldhu Cove is an ideal location for the kids to learn to surf – the waves are usually small and sheltered, and the instructors are experienced with children of all ages.”
Hayley Lawrence, Travel Expert and Surfer Mum of 3 boys