Eco-friendly, boutique surf resort and yoga retreat
Escape to an all-inclusive family surf resort in Nicaragua, where you can immerse yourself in luxury and adventure. Challenge yourself on world-class reef breaks, learn to surf on the beach breaks, or simply chill out by the pool with a cocktail in hand. Tap into your adventurous soul on horseback adventures into wild landscapes, nourish your body with food fresh from the quintas, and relax in Latin American style.
- BEACH LIFE
- CHILL OUT
- ON THE DOORSTEP
Family surf resort in Nicaragua
Location: Playa Santana Limon 2, Popoyo
Transfer: 20 minutes’ from ECI (Costa Esmeralda Airport)
Family friendly: All ages catered for, but really it’s best for 11+
Climate: Av. 28C
Best time to go: Nov–July/ August
Surf level: Improver to Advanced
Other activities: Yoga, horse riding, spa and day trips
Time Zone: GMT -6
- 12 personally styled rooms feature unique art, plants, artisan tiles and organic cotton linens.
- Garden Room: a spacious sanctuary with a king-size bed and glass walls offering outstanding views into the semi-outdoor Moroccan style seating area, with a rain shower and handmade tiles. Two garden rooms with interconnecting doors are perfect for families.
- Loft Room: also ideal for families, these can sleep up to 3-4 people in an expansive space across two levels. Includes a king-size bed and single/ or queen-size bed, semi-outdoor Moroccan style seating area, with a rain shower and handmade concrete tiles.
- Master Suite: the largest and most luxurious room, with an indoor living area and a semi-outdoor Moroccan style seating area with a walk-in rain shower and handmade tiles.
- All rooms offer air conditioning, Wifi, mini bar and mod cons.
- Stays include three meals a day – created using produce from the local organic farm.
- Beach access.
- Swimming pool with wading area for smaller children.
- Yoga and meditation in an open-sided studio.
- Restaurant and beach bar.
- Poolside cocktail service.
- Live music and bonfire nights at the beach bar.
- Childcare available.
- On the doorstep of 8 world-class surf spots in a 10km radius.
- From hollow reef breaks to longboard peelers and beach breaks for kids and beginners.
- Nearby breaks include Popoyo, Savannah, Magnific Rock, Playgrounds, Colorados and Playa Santana.
- Accommodation includes unlimited 4×4 transportation to any surf break.
- Onsite surf coaching centre with professional, certified instructors.
- Surf lessons: $80 per session, including 3h theory + 2h practice. Minimum age is 4 (although the 3 hours of theory isn’t ideal for children this age).
- Pre-book your dream surfboard to hire from AwayCo and travel lightly.
- There is also dedicated grom rental section.
- Swells are smaller and offshores stronger in Jan & Feb, making it the perfect season for beginners. It’s rainy season Aug–Oct but can produce the biggest swells for more advanced surfers.
- The beaches aren’t all about surfing – there are tidal pools to explore and scenic beaches such as Magnific Rock.
- Most of the popular beaches have rustic beach bars where you can hangout, have a drink and a snack, and watch the surfers.
- The beaches are uncrowded and perfect for family beach days and sunsets.
- Make sure you take flip flops because the black sand gets super hot in the midday sun.
- The Sunset Cantina serves a fusion of Central American and Western cuisine.
- Three meals a day included.
- Dishes packed with flavour and ingredients from La Quinta (the neighbouring organic farm).
- Sunset beach bar serving small bites (try the fish tacos) and cocktails.
- Quenching coconuts from the organic farm.
- Food served 7am-9pm.
- Horse riding
- Book in a spa treatment – a rejuvenating full body massage, reflexology, detox scrub or facial.
- Bespoke adventures can be organised for all seasons, ages and interests.
- Head off on a cultural tour or a custom-made sightseeing trip.