Sustainable luxury beside Playa Guiones
Pura vida fused with pure luxury. Separated from the waves and the paradise beach of Playa Guiones by only a jungle path, here you can enjoy wildlife and waves from the comfort of a luxurious family suite. With an onsite surf school and direct beach access, this serene oasis is the first platinum rated LEED hotel in Costa Rica – highlighting its exceptional environmental credentials from energy efficiency to a healthy environment and organic, local food.
- BE THERE
- SURF & BEACHES
- EAT & DRINK
- THINGS TO DO
- WE SAY
- KIDS SAY
Luxury family suites footsteps from the waves in Nosara
Location: Playa Guiones, Nosara, Guanacaste, Nicoya Peninsula
Best for: All ages. Great for multigenerational family holidays.
Transfer: Liberia is the closest international airport (LIR) – about 2.5 hours drive from Olas Verdes, Nosara. San José international airport (SJO) is about 5 hours drive. Olas Verdes can organise private transfers for $135 from LIR/ $240 from SJO (up to 4 people). Or you can fly from SJO or LIR to Nosara Airport with Sansa, from where it’s a 15-minute drive (Olas Verdes provide complimentary transfers from Nosara Airport).
Climate: Av. temps 28-32C year round.
Best time to go: Nov–April is dry season with small to medium swells. April–July is Green Season with bigger swells and some rain, but the temperature is still balmy and much of the rainfall at night. August–October are the rainiest months.
Surf level: Beginner to intermediate.
Other activities: Horse riding, zip lining, ATV quad tours, yoga, wildlife tours, diving, snorkelling, SUP.
Time zone: GMT-6
- Enjoy the luxury of a private family suite in one of five eco-modules built by a local architect and named after different regions of Costa Rica.
- Olas Verdes was the first hotel in Costa Rica to be awarded platinum LEED status for its exceptional eco-friendly features from the architecture to everyday details.
- Great for families are the Luxury Suites sleeping 3-4 guests, with a queen-size bed and single bed in the main bedroom (some also have a sofa bed in the living room).
- For larger families, the 2-BR Beach Apartments sleep 4-7 guests, comprising of two luxury suites with an interconnecting hallway or staircase. These offer spacious accommodation with 2 living rooms, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a sofa bed in the downstairs living area.
- There are also Poolside Suites sleeping up to three guests.
- Each suite is spacious and self-contained, with luxury features including a living room, fridge, coffee maker, kitchen and dining area, microwave/ toaster, air conditioning and ceiling fans.
- Breakfast, bikes, refillable water bottles, laundry service and transfers to/from Nosara Airport, are included.
- Saltwater swimming pool and sun loungers surrounded by jungle foliage.
- Private yoga deck where you can find your Zen to the soundtrack of the jungle canopy.
- Massages and spa treatments available.
- Follow the private jungle track to the beach. Don’t miss the blazing sunsets.
- Onsite El Manglar restaurant and cocktail bar.
- Communal games room and TV lounge area.
- Onsite surf school and board hire.
- The onsite Safari Surf school (the world’s first sustainable certified surf school) will take care of all your lessons and equipment hire.
- Private and group lessons are available.
- Video analysis and surf guiding also available.
- There are many surfboards to choose from according to your ability.
- It’s a couple of minutes’ walk along a private jungle track to the southern end of Playa Guiones – the most consistent surf break in Nosara, where you will also experience magical sunsets.
- You can surf Playa Guiones on almost all tides, but it’s best around mid tide.
- At low tide there are also rock pools to discover.
- Shuffle your feet when you enter and exit the water to avoid stingrays.
Other local beaches to explore include:
- Playa Garza
A broad, tree-lined white-sand beach with a small fishing village.
- Playa Barrigona
A more remote white-sand beach and an excellent break for more experienced surfers.
- Playa Pelada
A sheltered bay with rocky outcrops, and a blowhole that forms a natural shower during the incoming tide.
- Playa Nosara
A remote black sand beach backed by mangroves.
- Playa Ostional
Part of the National Refuge where hundreds of thousands of sea turtles lay their eggs every year.
- Playa San Juanillo
A stunning bay perfect for snorkeling and swimming.
A wide beach with clear water, considered one of the area’s best surfing beaches.
- The onsite El Manglar Restaurant is a relaxed and stylish hangout serving a menu of local ingredients.
- The organic farm-to-table restaurant serves delicious Tico dishes using produce from their own garden and local farms.
- Sip freshly squeezed fruit smoothies or tropical cocktails beside the pool and wildlife refuge.
- Checkout other places we loved nearby in our Nosara Foodie Blog.
- Explore the mangroves and spot wildlife on a SUP adventure.
- Get up close to howler monkeys and other wildlife in the Nosara Refuge for Wildlife.
- Saddle up for a horse riding adventure along the beach or into the jungle.
- Zoom along the zip line on a canopy tour.
- Volunteer for a local community project.
“Nosara is a charming, laid-back surf and yoga town for a family surfing holiday. The family suites at Olas Verdes are serene and spacious – more like having your own apartment with hotel facilities. And you’re squirrelled away in the jungle, just footsteps from perfect waves with everything you need at your fingertips. It’s only a short walk or cycle into the town centre, but you could easily just hang out at Olas Verdes and surf, eat, sleep, repeat.”
Hayley Lawrence, surfer mum of three boys
“I loved following the jungle track to the beach, spotting monkeys in the trees before emerging beside the waves. The surf was perfect for our family. We’d stay on the beach until sunset, then have to dash back along the jungle track before it got dark. The food was amazing and we loved staying cool in the saltwater swimming pool.”
Leo, aged 8