Five-star luxury by the sea
Make yourself at home in a luxury villa beside the ocean. Perfect for families with young children, the Martinhal offers exceptional facilities and activities, as well as kids’ clubs and babysitting, so you can take time out to surf, dine out or unwind in the spa.
- BEACH LIFE
- CHILL OUT
- ON THE DOORSTEP
Location: Marthinhal Beach, Sagres
Transfer: 1hr 20mins drive from Faro airport (transfers available)
Family Friendly: From babies to grandparents
Climate: Winter 10-18C; Summer 26-35C
Surf level: All abilities
- There are five heated swimming pools, including one indoors; each has a separate kids’ pool.
- Tranquil spa with garden space, sauna and treatment rooms.
- Tennis and padel tennis courts.
- Football pitch and coaching/ clubs.
- Gymnasium and a range of classes (personal trainer available on request).
- Bike hire, pump skills track and bike tours.
- Five kids’ clubs and a crèche catering for all different ages.
- Complimentary baby equipment from potties and baby gates to baths and bottle sterilisers.
- Staffed kids’ corners in every restaurant.
- Daily family entertainment in the village square.
- Babysitting on demand (from €16 per hour).
- Unsupervised Blue Room with video games and table football for kids aged 8 and over.
- Grocery store and a selection of family-friendly restaurants.
- Football, tennis, swimming and surfing academies to improve your techniques in the sports’ arena.
- Surf lessons and water sports.
- Book family surf lessons, pack the kids off with expert instructors while you enjoy the spa, or pop the kids into a club or crèche so you can brush up your own board skills.
- Meet your surf instructors at reception and hop in the surf bus to the best waves of the day.
- Each surf session typically takes a morning or afternoon.
- Wetsuits, boards, transport and all equipment is provided.
- As well as riding waves you’ll also learn about sea safety.
- The resort is situated on the safe, sandy Martinhal beach, which is perfect for windsurfing, paddleboarding, kayaking and family beach days.
- It’s 5 minutes’ drive to Tonel Beach, where you can hit the waves or spend the days playing in the rock pools and soaking up the scenery of Cape St. Vicente and the lighthouse.
- Praia do Beliche is less then 10-minutes’ drive – a sheltered surfing beach backed by cliffs. If you’ve got tots in tow be aware that it’s a steep descent from the car park to the sand.
- It’s 20 minutes’ drive to Vila do Bispo, where you can fork off to many rugged surfing beaches on the west coast, including Castelejo, Cordoama and Amado.
- Serving authentic Portuguese cuisine in family-friendly restaurants, great food is an integral part of daily life at the Martinhal.
- A full breakfast buffet is served in the ocean-view O’Terraço restaurant, where you can opt to dine al fresco on the terrace.
- For lunch and dinner you can enjoy the same divine views from while tucking into Portuguese gastronomy with a modern twist.
- In the heart of the resort is the Italian restaurant, Os Gambozinos, serving Mediterranean specials including risottos, handmade pizzas and pasta.
- As Dunas is the perfect place for lunch, serving fresh fish and seafood beside the beach.
- All the restaurants feature a staffed kids’ play area so you can enjoy a relaxing dining experience.
- The children’s menus include a variety of fresh purees for babies.
- More casual places to chill out for a coffee, cocktail or snack include the surf-styled M-Bar and the poolside Hangout.
- You might prefer a takeaway from the pop-up grill, or want to fill your bags in the grocery store and cook in the comfort of your villa or apartment.
- Water sports centre offering windsurfing, paddleboarding and kayaking.
- Pilates, yoga, aqua bike and fitness classes.
- Diving: trial dives, PADI courses and snorkelling excursions
- Biking tours and bike hire onsite (including kids’ bikes, balance bikes, child seats, trailers and electric bikes).
- Hiking tours in the surrounding coastal and wilderness areas (from €15 per person including a snack box).
- Find your Zen at yoga and pilates classes.
- Unwind in the tranquil garden space at the Finisterra Spa.
- Relax with couples’ treatments, family treatments, massages and beauty treatments at the spa.
- Book a babysitter and head out for a romantic sunset dinner.
- Let the kids make new friends and enjoy the array of clubs and activities, while you kick back with a good book in the sunshine.
- Castaway on a stand up paddle tour to the Martinhal islands.
- Take a tuk-tuk tour to the lighthouse at Cabo St. Vicente and the beaches of Sagres.
- Head off on an off-road jeep safari along the rugged west coast.
- Go horse riding in the countryside, forest, or along the coast.
- Dolphin watching trips and boat cruises.
- Get a birds’ eye view of the Algarve when you go tandem skydiving, hot air ballooning or take a ride in a helicopter.
- Eat freshly landed fish beside the harbour in Sagres.
- Try the local vintages on a cellar tour and wine tasting experience.
- Take a tour on an all-terrain four-wheel drive bike.
- Play golf on one of four courses within easy reach of Martinhal, including Espiche, Palmares and Boavista.
- All sorts to choose from including Bay Houses with incredible views from upstairs open-plan living spaces; ground-floor apartments; semi-detached villas with private gardens or sea views; luxury villas with their own swimming pools and gardens for larger families; ocean-view hotel rooms for couples with one young child.
- Our favourites are the 2-3 bedroom Bay Houses, but whatever accommodation you choose, expect a deluxe home-from-home with creature comforts at your fingertips.
- Little luxuries include bathrobes, beach towels and a welcome pack of food and drink.
- Hotel rooms have coffee machines and mini bars; villas have fully equipped kitchens with coffee machines, dishwasher, washer/ dryer and fridge/ freezer.