5-star coastal chic in the UK’s surfing capital
Make yourself at home in an iconic hotel beside the surfing Mecca of Fistral beach, for a luxury family surfing holiday in Cornwall. Choose luxury hotel rooms or a contemporary self-catering cottage, hit the waves with experts from the onsite Surf Sanctuary, make a splash in the multi-million pound Aqua Club and soak up the sea-views from award-winning restaurants.
- BE THERE
- WHAT'S ONSITE
- SURF & BEACHES
- EAT & DRINK
- THINGS TO DO
- WE SAY
Family surfing holidays in a luxury beach hotel and self-catering villas in Cornwall
Stay in style beside Newquay’s famous Fistral beach. As well as direct beach access and the onsite Surf Sanctuary, highlights include an onsite surf school, a five-bubble awarded spa and a brand new multi-million pound Aqua Club.
Location: Fistral Beach, Cornwall
Transfer: 15 minutes’ drive from Newquay Cornwall Airport
Climate: Summer 16-20C; spring and autumn 12-18C (best swells)
Surf level: Beginners to expert
Family friendly: Dog friendly, grandparent friendly and baby/ tot-friendly.
Other activities: Bodyboarding, hiking, spa treatments and day trips
Time Zone: GMT
- Six rooms types including spacious family suites (one of them squirreled in a turret), beach-chic bedrooms and cool coastal cottages where you can enjoy self-catering with the luxury of hotel facilities. Many offer sea views.
- Hotel suites are decked out with Elemis toiletries, a Nespresso coffee machine, teapot and BOSE sound system.
- Great rates for kids aged 3-14 (under 3s are free), plus cots and equipment for tots and cool pull-down bunks for under 10s in some rooms.
- One, two and three-bedroom contemporary cottages where you can make yourself at home by the sea with hotel facilities at your fingertips.
- A brand new multi-million pound Aqua Club includes indoor pools and a leisure complex.
- ‘Five bubble’ rated spa with treatment rooms, hydro pool, salt steam room and well-equipped gym.
- Heated outdoor swimming pool.
- Beach equipment including bodyboards, buckets and spades.
- Games and DVDs.
- Activity programmes for kids of all ages.
- Putting green.
- Onsite Surf Sanctuary offering surfing lessons for all levels, as well as coasteering, kitesurfing and stand-up paddleboarding.
- Dog friendly, grandparent friendly and baby/ tot-friendly.
The Headland sits in an unbeatable location overlooking Fistral Beach – the UK’s surfing capital where many of Britain’s pros cut their teeth. Fistral Beach is a mecca for family beach days, with almost a kilometre of golden sand hemming the rolling waves.
- The onsite Surf Sanctuary is a surf school, surf shop and watersports centre run by expert surfing instructors.
- Surf lessons can be tailored for the whole family and all levels of surfers.
- Onsite board and equipment rental also available.
- The hotel offers secure surfboard and wetsuit storage.
- Excellent beachside amenities include showers, surf shops and a cluster of vibrant seafront bars and restaurants.
- Make the most of year-round swell and one of the best surf breaks in the UK. You’re footsteps from South Fistral, North Fistral and Little Fistral.
- If a big swell is running or the wind is onshore, it’s only a few minutes’ walk to the more sheltered surf breaks of Towan and Great Western.
- Escape the crowds on Little Fistral, an idyllic spot for rock-pooling and searching for sea glass.
- A short stroll along the coast path will take you the string of town beaches, from the historic harbour and Towan, all the way to the colourful beach huts on Tolcarne and Lusty Glaze.
- Water temps range from 9-10C in winter to 15-18 in summer – so you’ll need at least a 3/2mm wetsuit in summer and 5/4mm in winter.
- Tuck into contemporary cuisine inspired by the Cornish coastline, at The Headland’s two oceanside restaurants.
- The double AA Rosette-awarded Samphire serves sophisticated, seasonal dishes in a classic dining room.
- The contemporary Terrace restaurant offers a more laid-back ambience, with floor-to-ceiling windows, a large sun terrace and a selection of fresh local produce. It’s also a great spot for a classic Cornish cream tea – perfect post-surf indulgence.
- Children’s menus are available in both restaurants.
- The Headland Hotel and cottages are also just footsteps from Fistral’s line-up of bars and restaurants, including one of our family favourites, The Stable, the trendy Fistral Beach Bar, and the foodie hotspots of Rick Stein Fistral and The Fish House.
- Try coasteering – scrambling, swimming and rock-jumping around the coastline.
- Work your core on a stand-up paddleboarding tour.
- Hit the hotel gym and leisure complex for a cardio workout.
- Strike out along the South West Coast Path to the town beaches, or south around Pentire Headland to Crantock and Holywell Bay.
- Head into Newquay and ride the Concrete Waves of the skate park.
- Experience the vibrant beach culture of the UK’s surfing capital.
- Dip into the underwater world at Newquay Blue Reef Aquarium
- Head to Newquay Zoo to observe over 100 species of wildlife from lions to poison dart frogs.
“After a surf or swim, The Headland is the perfect spot for High Tea overlooking the waves. At the end of the day either order a cocktail on the terrance, or walk along the headland to Little Fistral to search for sea glass and watch the sunset over the ocean.”
Hayley Lawrence, surfing mum and travel expert.