Coastal chic in the UK’s surfing capital
Inside this Victorian hotel overlooking the pumping surf of Fistral beach, you’ll find a contemporary haven made for family surfing breaks. Choose hotel service or a self-catering cottage, hit the waves with experts from the onsite Surf Sanctuary, unwind in the spa, or soak up the scenery from the sea-view restaurants.
- BEACH LIFE
- CHILL OUT
- ON THE DOORSTEP
- Stay in style beside Newquay’s famous Fistral beach.
- Choose from luxury hotel rooms or a five-star family holiday cottage.
- Direct access to the beach and onsite Surf Sanctuary.
- Relax and recharge in the spa and swimming pool.
- Classic and contemporary cuisine in two oceanside dining venues, and footsteps from some of Newquay’s finest seafront restaurants including Rick Stein’s and The Fish House
- Dog friendly, grandparent friendly and baby/ tot-friendly.
Location: Fistral Beach, Cornwall
Transfer: 15 minutes’ drive from Newquay Cornwall Airport
Climate: Summer 16-20C; spring and autumn 12-18C (best swells)
Surf level: Beginners to expert
- Six rooms types including spacious family suites (one of them squirreled in a turret), beach-chic bedrooms and cool coastal cottages where you can enjoy self-catering with the luxury of hotel facilities. Many offer sea views.
- Hotel suites are decked out with Elemis toiletries, a Nespresso coffee machine, teapot and BOSE sound system.
- Great rates for kids aged 3-14 (under 3s are free), plus cots and equipment for tots and cool pull-down bunks for under 10s in some rooms.
- One, two and three-bedroom contemporary cottages where you can make yourself at home by the sea with hotel facilities at your fingertips.
- Heated outdoor swimming pool, and a brand new state-of-the art indoor pool and leisure complex opening in 2020.
- Beach equipment including bodyboards, buckets and spades.
- Games and DVDs.
- Activity programmes for kids of all ages.
- Putting Green.
- ‘Five bubble’ rated spa with treatment rooms, hydro pool, salt steam room and well-equipped gym.
- Onsite Surf Sanctuary offering surfing lessons for all levels, as well as coasteering, kitesurfing and stand-up paddleboarding.
- The Headland sits in an unbeatable location overlooking Fistral Beach – the UK’s surfing capital where many of Britain’s pros cut their teeth.
- The onsite Surf Sanctuary is a surf school, surf shop and watersports centre run by expert surfing instructors.
- Surf lessons can be tailored for the whole family and all levels of surfers.
- Onsite board and equipment rental also available.
- Secure board and wetsuit storage.
- Year-round swell and one of the best surf breaks in the UK. You’re footsteps from South Fistral, North Fistral and Little Fistral.
- If a big swell is running or the wind is onshore, it’s only a few minutes’ walk to the more sheltered surf breaks of Towan and Great Western.
- This is the UK, not the tropics. Water temps range from 9-10C in winter to 15-18 in summer – so you’ll need at least a 3/2mm wetsuit in summer and 5/4mm in winter.
- Fistral Beach is a mecca for family beach days, with almost a kilometre of golden sand hemming the rolling waves.
- Excellent beachside amenities include showers, surf shops and a cluster of vibrant seafront bars and restaurants.
- Escape the crowds on Little Fistral, an idyllic spot for rock-pooling and searching for sea glass.
- A short stroll along the coast path will take you the string of town beaches, from the historic harbour and Towan, all the way to the colourful beach huts on Tolcarne and Lusty Glaze.
- Wine, dine and relax by the ocean.
- Tuck into contemporary cuisine inspired by the Cornish coastline.
- The double AA Rosette-awarded Samphire serves sophisticated, seasonal dishes in a classic dining room.
- The contemporary Terrace restaurant offers a more laid-back ambience, with floor-to-ceiling windows, a large sun terrace and a selection of fresh local produce. It’s also a great spot for a classic Cornish cream tea – perfect post-surf indulgence.
- Children’s menus are available in both restaurants.
- The Headland Hotel and cottages are just footsteps from Fistral’s line-up of bars and restaurants, including one of our family favourites, The Stable, the trendy Fistral Beach Bar, and the foodie hotspots of Rick Stein Fistral and The Fish House.
- Try coasteering – scrambling, swimming and rock-jumping around the coastline.
- Work your core on a stand-up paddleboarding tour.
- Hit the hotel gym for a cardio workout.
- Strike out along the South West Coast Path to the town beaches, or south around Pentire Headland to Crantock and Holywell Bay.
- Spa treatments including massages, facials and reflexology.
- Take time out in the hydropool.
- Enjoy a cocktail on the terrace and soak up sea views.
- Find a peaceful nook on Little Fistral beach to watch the sunset.
- Head into Newquay and ride the Concrete Waves of the skate park.
- Experience the vibrant beach culture of the UK’s surfing capital.
- Dip into the underwater world at Newquay Blue Reef Aquarium
- Head to Newquay Zoo to observe over 100 species of wildlife from lions to poison dart frogs